Sunday, February 21, 2010

How many hours do I need for connecting flight at Taoyuan Taiwan Airport EWR-TPE and TPE-NRT

How many hours do I need for connecting flight at Taoyuan Taiwan Airport EWR-TPE and TPE-NRT?
I'm planning my trip to both Taiwan and Japan. My flight from Newark, NJ will get to Taiwan at 6.40AM. EVA Air has a flight from Taipei to Tokyo at 8.50AM. That means there is only 2 hours in between. Do you think this is enough time? I book the flight separately so I'm not sure if I need to go through immigration and pick up the luggage and check in again. Please help.
Taiwan - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Technically you only need 40 minutes for EVA Air-EVA Air flight connection. The standard time is one hour. Since your both flights leave and arrive in Terminal 2, you would have plenty of time for flight connection. You should inform EVA Air about your flight connection in Taipei to have your baggage checked through to Tokyo. It would save you the trouble of rechecking-in again.
2 :
I don't think you need to go through immigration and check in again.. that's kinda stupid. Ask your airline company from NJ to TPE if they can transfer your luggage to EVA Air. Since you have the ticket for next flight, I am sure that you don't need to go through the immigration. You just need to ask how to get to the EVA transfer counter and get your boarding pass to Japan, and then ask for the entrance to the departure hall to go to the boarding gate. For connecting the flight in Taiwan, I think 2 hrs is quiet enough.The only problem is your luggage. But I think the airline can help
3 :
Your connecting time is fine. It's the luggages that you need to double check. Under normal circumstances, if you booked your flights separately and issued two e-tickets instead of one, Eva Air has no record your flight from Newark to Taipei. Thus you have to inform both airlines about your connecting flights and make sure those connecting flights are noted in your flight booking. For example, if your EWR to TPE is by AA, ask AA to remark your next connecting flight is TPE to NRT by EVA. Vice versa, tell EVA that you are flying from EWR by AA and collect your luggages for you. Some airlines do not provide this kind of service if they are not allied companies. My suggestion is to check and confirm either with your travel agent or with both airlines.

Search News