Saturday, February 21, 2009

Do I need a USA VISA if I'm going to land in Newark, and take my connecting flight on that very airport

Do I need a USA VISA if I'm going to land in Newark, and take my connecting flight on that very airport?
I'm Mexican, the last time I was here in Israel 10 years ago, my USA passport was up-to-date. I had no problem taking a flight from Tel Aviv to Newark to Mexico City. I've been living in Israel for the past 6 months. My USA passport expired 3 months ago. I want to go back to Mexico. But I need to take a connecting flight in Newark. Will I need a passport just for taking a connecting flight?
Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No, because you aren't technically entering the US.
2 :
Are you asking about a *visa* or about a passport? You'll need a *passport* (from any country) in order to travel, but you don't need a *visa* since you're not truly entering the country.
3 :
I think you said passport when you meant visa. Yes, you must have a transit visa...things have changed on the past few years. According to the State Dept. site , even if you are passing through the U.S. you need a transit visa. Now, I know people will tell you that if you do not leave the airport that you do not need a visa. That is contrary to what the State Dept says. However, you could consult a travel agent or call your airline and ASK> If The U.S. requires a visa, they will not let you on an airplane to the U.S. unless they see that visa...so call and ask. You can use the site below. Fill in all the blanks and click for the info. it confirms that you need a visa. You can also call the U.S. embassy or consulate closest to you in Israel and confirm this.
4 :
I'm not sure if you're asking if you need a USA visa or USA passport but if you're not a USA citizen, you must have a transit visa even if you're only catching a connecting flight. http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html If you're a USA citizen (you said "my USA passport" twice in your question), you cannot enter the country on anything other than a current USA passport and you will not be able to get a transit visa.

Search News